Sunday, June 18, 2023

TEACHING PRACTICE 

1.    Procedures of Teaching

     My teaching experience at SMK Muhammadiyah Abung Semuli taught me the value of patience, tenacity, passion, and the ability to do more with less. Teaching is one of the most rewarding occupations since it allows you to influence future generations. However, teaching without direction appears to be completely useless. As a result, in order for me to deliver my teachings effectively in the classroom, I must implement specific teaching practices. This technique will undoubtedly assist me in determining what to do next and will become a regular every time I handle the class.

The following are my procedures in handling class:

·         Greet the students in class.

·         Invites students to pray before learning.

·         Check the attendance in class. Monitor the absent and presents in class.

·         Recall the previous lesson.

·         Introduced the new lesson.

·         Tell them the learning objectives.

·         Provide an energizer to catch the attention of students.

·         Shows pictures of various example of Spices of Indonesia.

·    Divides the class into 5 groups to carry out discussions, respectively the group consists of 6-7 students.

·       Distribute guidelines that have an example of procedures in making product and afterwards the students will choose a leader to discuss the procedures in front of the class.

·         Provides material reinforcement after the student presentation activities end.

·         I am giving the opportunity to students to conclude the material already studied.

·         Give a reflection or conclusion of the material given.

·         The teacher gives good motivation to the students to the next meeting.

·         End the meeting with a prayer.

Students are praying their holy prayer

Group Activity

Class presentation and reporting

2.    Time Management and Organizing Activities

School began at 7:00 a.m. and concluded at 2:30 p.m. Every Friday, however, the lesson stopped at 11:30 a.m. since the students were heading to the Mosque for prayer.

I am responsible for two subjects in SMK Muhammadiyah Abung Semuli, and each subject has its own timetable. I have 90 minutes to handle the class in Social Studies, and the same in English. The time set in each topic should be followed, and that's why a teaching plan is important.        


3.    Problem Solving

    Language has been my only challenge when teaching at SMK Muhammadiyah Abung Semuli. English is a foreign language in Indonesia, particularly in Bandar Lampung. To put it another way, they did not practice or master the language. They never consider it a mode of communication since they are accustomed to speaking and studying in Bahasa. 

When I was teaching them, I could see their enthusiasm and eagerness to study the material. In truth, if they want to react to my question, they just translate it to Google Translation first. However, there may be instances when they do not understand what you are saying and may merely nod, smile, and stare at you while you are teaching.

As a result of this situation, I devised remedies to the problem. The first thing I did was master the fundamentals of greetings. Learning their language is difficult, but it is required since it is the only way to attract the attention of pupils and teachers. Second, it should be used in their language when presenting in class. There is always a Bahasa translation when I teach. Third, regardless of the language barrier, present an activity that will stimulate and enhance their creativity.

I believe there is no barrier when you are adaptive, responsible, and accountable in every decision you make. It is easy to say that anything is difficult because it is different from what we are used to doing, but when you are already in the situation and have no choice, your whole potential emerges.


4.    Classroom Management

When it comes to classroom management, students are disciplined. The classroom is well-organized, and I believe the teacher planned it effectively.

Students are attentively listening during my discussion

My first-time teaching students, I felt genuinely fantastic since they were attentive and interested. They make no noise, are silent, and pay close attention to what I say. I feel they are interested in and eager to learn from what I've given them.


5.    Lesson Plan

The lesson plan is the most important item that any instructor should think about. This serves as a guide for the instructor to teach students efficiently.

 

This is the lesson plan I used for our first meeting.





My second and final lesson plan



x

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Message of Gratitude As my time as a pre-service exchange student comes to an end, I want to express my heartfelt appreciation and gratitu...